Saturday, May 3, 2008

The shape of things to come...

Today was a big-time kid shuffle day. Ellie went to the farmer's market early this morning with Doug only to be picked up by me at 11:30 for dance recital dress rehearsal. Meanwhile our two unsuspecting boys got dropped off at the farmer's market to be help captive at Doug's company tent for two hours. Luckily Hudson entertained himself with the box truck (or the oyster.com truck, as he likes to call it) and Nielson got some quality Aunt Stephie time. Yeah Aunt Stephie!
As I sat waiting for Ellie to finish her "Goin to the Chapel" number I began thinking, "This is only the begining!. First dance..then what??? Soccer? Piano? T-Ball? Olympic Volleyball Clinics? (hey-I can dream) And that's just Ellie. Who knows what the McMinn boys will end up doing in their spare time? That is, what will they do when they grow out of their sucking on (Nielson) and throwing (Hudson) every toy in sight and when they have been liberated by the oppressive Pampers which have held them back all these many months?"
I'm scared. How will I get our kids everywhere they need to be? How will I do so without losing my mind? Or a child? The truth is that I will get along just fine. I'll do my best and have some faith that everything will work out. Doug will pitch in where he can, and we will be there to support our children in whatever they choose to find joy in doing. Except wrestling...and maybe water polo. Never been a big fan of either of those. But anything else (just about.)
Don't be surprised if in a few years I:
1. am still writing this blog
2. issue an open casting call to any friends or family members wanting to spend some good quality time with some adorable (I think) pretty good (most of the time) almost perfect children. The pay ain't great, but you get all the chicken nuggets and kid hugs/slugs you could ever hope for.
Here's some more temple pics and I'll post little miss sunshine's dance photos Monday.



No comments: