Sunday, September 27, 2009

County Fair

In the town where I grew up, we had "Northbrook Days," which was a fair that set up every year on our Village Green (fancy name for town park.) What a great time that was as a kid. Seemingly endless rides, games and food which collectively could be had for under 10 bucks. Of course, that was back in the day when an ice cream cone at Baskin Robbins cost 50 cents. Ah yes, the good old days......

It's funny going to fairs with my own kids. I see the excitement in their eyes and try to play along, while internally checking out all the rusted ride frames and food that costs more than a down payment on a small car. I shared Ellie's first ferris wheel ride with her- just look at her face! All the while I heard every creak, felt every shudder and wondered when the operator's last drug test had been. I hope I hid it well.

Fairs are magical...when you're 6 and 3. But not when you're 1, like Nielson was at the time. He was just bitter he couldn't ride anything.

As some of you heard me say...I'd like it to be more like Charlotte's Web and a lot less like Joe Dirt!




Don't need to see where I'm goin'...long as I know where I've been!

No comments: